Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Storms & Blackberries


Hmm...not my brightest idea - picking blackberries in a storm! Well, almost a storm - very strong winds anyway. For weeks now I've been eyeing up the blackberry bushes in our garden thinking I'd go berry picking one day. And today was the day I decided. I took my little plastic pot, popped Jessie in her pram and shouted "walkies" to the dogs. All set for some serious berry picking! And yes, it could have been serious...I could have lost an eye! The winds were so strong the bushes kept swaying back and forth and the thorns on the branches were swoooshing past my head. Just as I was about to grip one berry, the bush would move and all I got was a handful of air, or the opposite direction and I'd grip the whole branch and hurt my poor fingers on the spikes. I managed to pick about 4 dl and several scrathes later I am now back indoors...
What a stupid idea, why did I have to do it today. Its been lovely weather all week and I decide to pick berries just as bloody hurricane "Gustaf" takes a detour past Wickford. Nice.

No comments: